“Talking Tea Cups” Guidelines
- Probably the MOST important guideline would be to establish that your time together is a safe zone! What is said between the two of you and your two cups stays between you two and your two cups.
- Make it a NO PHONE ZONE!
- Try to spend an hour together, uninterrupted. No phone calls, no email checks, no social media, etc. This is face to face time. What you do in the beginning will set the tone for the time you spend together.
- Schedule an hour during your week for a “Talking Tea Cups” date.
- When you are shopping or run errands together, let your special girl choose the beverage and snack. My daughter loves to do this!
- Make the location vary. Spend time outside on the porch, on a picnic blanket in the yard, snuggled up on the couch, at the dining table with candles. Add variety.
- Involve your special girl in the preparing and setting up of your drinks and treats. Bake something together an hour beforehand to share. Check out our FAVORITE RECIPES.
- Always encourage; never belittle. Always listen; never talk over each other.
- Time is short; DO IT NOW!!
- If you have little ones at home, plan on having your “Talking Tea Cups” time when littles are napping or can be watched by someone else. Prepare in advance.
- Remember: the value you, as the leader, place on this special time will be communicated clearly to your girl or woman you are mentoring.
- Make eye contact!
- And my personal favorite comes straight from the Word of God in I Corinthians 13:7-10 (The Message Bible). Apply this every time you are together:
“So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love. Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have. Love doesn’t strut, Doesn’t have a swelled head, Doesn’t force itself on others, Isn’t always ‘me first,’ Doesn’t fly off the handle, Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others, Doesn’t revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end. Love never dies.”